Re: [xmca] constraints, affordances and semiotic potentials

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Mon Jan 23 2006 - 06:27:37 PST

On 22/01/2006, at 1:22 AM, bb wrote:

> Register, also from Halliday, is the range of meaning potential
> activated by a situation -- which is why I'm excited about the
> mapping from the day schedule to the location of lessons in the
> room. Learning math happens in the math area (yellow rug),
> learning to read and write happens in the literacy area (red rug),
> where the materials and texts oriented towards those lessons are
> concentrated, providing the material means for activating those
> registers. The built environment is a semiotic design, where space
> (e.g.the room and its centers) and time (e.g. the day schedule) are
> integral elements of making meaning. Each makes its own
> contributions to the specialized texts that are collectively made
> by the children and teacher therein.

bb....I'm wondering how you are using register theory to map
locations in the classroom. Are you using the grammar? The
metafunctions? Perhaps the work of Kress and others? Just downright
curious in a very positive sense about the dialectic between your
data and the theory.

Sorry to stray further from the discussion.

Phil