Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools and Classroom

From: Vera Steiner (vygotsky@unm.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 20 2006 - 12:18:51 PST

Hi.
Thinking about the possible distinctions between tools and signs, I was
paying close attention to a painter's comments; he recently shifted from
landscapes to portraits. When painting the latter, he has conversations with
those who sit for him, quite different from the mountains.
Signs are profoundly interpersonal in their origins, functions and
development. It is the human co-participations in improving a sign that is
appropriated by the sign user for her/his use.I interpret Vygotsky's
distinction between tool and sign as partly linked to this
difference.Tools,too, are improved by humans, oif course, but they are not
necessarily fundemental to their exchanges.

But then I am , once again, teaching Language and Thought.

Vera