Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools and Classroom

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 10:27:05 PST

I think that part of the trouble is also in the prevailing opinion that
"thought" is not material. One can understand that the actual production
of speech and its perception (hearing/seeing) is based in the material
transmission of sound/light, but it is still, I think, hard to de-couple
the pair: thought-ideal.
In other words, I think that the prevailing paradigm still is somewhat
"abstract-structuralist-normativist" view that language is just a vessel
for expressing thoughts which are somehow "independent", "non-material",
"esoteric" -- in one word "ideal".
In one sense, if the substance of thinking are concepts, then they could
be understood as "non material", intangible, because they are abstract
and general and can be applied to many actual instances of material
reality. In another sense, concepts are non-material and abstract
because they are not about the perceptible material environment, but
instead, they refer to relations, values, rules, etc. So the question
becomes removed from "language" as a material artifact and a tool and
pushed back to the materiality/immateriality of thought. And there is
the duality -- when thinking is de-coupled from language as material
activity - it is possible to imagine it as being "non-material".
Ana

Ana Marjanovic-Shane

151 W. Tulpehocken St.

Philadelphia, PA 19144