Re: [xmca] Artifacts, Tools and Classroom

From: Kevin Rocap (Kevin.Rocap@liu.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 15 2006 - 06:59:23 PST

Dear Steve.

I feel a little foolish. I sense that I share your understanding of
things, but seeing it written leads me to what must be a fundamental
blind spot in my own thinking....and since it seems to me to likely be
so basic to CHAT, forgive, in advance, my naivete. But, in what sense
are you referring to language as "physical" or "material"?

These are two terms you seem to use somewhat interchangeably in what
you've written. Again, I don't disagree at all (and sense that I
probably do agree); I just recognize how imprecise my own thinking is
around this. Is language "physical" in the sense of the physiological
processes of speech, the neural pathways of language production and the
physicality of written language? Is that it? Or is it something else? Is
it perhaps the Nietzschean edict that when we say the "stone is hard" we
are forgetting that we really don't know "hard" outside of the stone in
the first place? Are all "ideal" things then also "physical" by some
account?

You yourself mention that since understanding the strength of CHAT as
materialist versus dualist makes this a good discussion to be having.
But if this will become too much of a definiition-chasing digression
don't let me stop the flow of conversation, we can shelve these
questions which might be answered organically over time, or could be
part of a future exchange.

I'm just taken by the "materiality and meaning"/"physical and mental"
parallels you draw. Are "material" (or "materiality") and "physical"
synonyms in a CHAT context? And are "meaning" and "mental" of the same
ilk, or realm, which I guess would be Ideal (?)? Doesn't that, in a way,
reinforce so-called dualist notions? Or are we just damned by an
inherited discourse that needs perpetually to be stitched together,
frankenstein-style, to make materialist sense?

Just wondering, thanks. You drew my attention away from my work deadline
long enough to toss this out (so there might be an element of
procrastination interweaved with my genuine interest in a little more
elaboration of how language is, in particular, "physical" in a
materialist sense).

In Peace,
K.