[xmca] Bilingualism and emotions

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Fri Jan 13 2006 - 05:13:01 PST

A really exciting looking book!!

Phil

Emotions and Multilingualism
Series: Studies in Emotion and Social Interaction

Aneta Pavlenko
Temple University, Philadelphia

How do bilinguals experience emotions? Do they perceive and express
emotions similarly or differently in their respective languages? Does
the first language remain forever the language of the heart? What
role do emotions play in second language learning and in language
attrition? Why do some writers prefer to write in their second
language? In this provocative and ground-breaking book, Pavlenko
challenges the monolingual bias of modern linguistics and psychology
and uses the lens of bi- and multilingualism to offer a fresh
perspective on the relationship between language and emotions.
Bringing together insights from the fields of linguistics,
neurolinguistics, psychology, anthropology, psychoanalysis, and
literary theory, Pavlenko offers a unique and comprehensive
introduction to this cross-disciplinary movement. This is a highly
readable and thought provoking book that draws on empirical data and
first hand accounts and offers invaluable advice for novice
researchers. It will appeal to scholars and researchers across many
discplines.

• This is the first book to be written on the topic of bilingualism
and emotions

• It has wide appeal across the field of linguistics, cognitive
psychology and emotion studies

• In-depth focus on research procedures will prove invaluable to
students

Contents

Preface; 1. Languages and emotions: what can a multilingual
perspective contribute?; 2. Emotions in the study of multilingualism:
framing the questions; Part I. Languages of Emotions: 3. Vocal level:
is the lady angry?; 4. Semantic and conceptual levels: the bilingual
mental lexicon; 5. Discursive level: I feel zhalko tebia bednogo;
Part II. Languages and Emotions: 6. Neurophysiological level: his
coeur is where his feelings dwell; 7. Social cognition: I no longer
wanted to speak German; 8. Emotions and multilingualism: an
integrated perspective; Appendix A. Appendix B. References.

http://www.cambridge.org/uk/catalogue/catalogue.asp?isbn=0521843618_______________________________________________