[xmca] emotions & the non-rational

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 08 2006 - 15:18:43 PST

Mary--

I happened to be reading Vygotsky on "disabled" kids before reading your
note where emotions play a large role
which is the immediate context for this note.

In Vol. 1 of the collected works of LSV there is a chapter on the
development of the emotions.
Luria's work, *The nature of human conflicts* has emotion, will, and
conflict as its English subtitle only
because Americans would not allow the subtitle to be the title. Vasiluk's
book, "The psychology of experiencing"
is all about intense, emotion-laden experience.

So there are places to look, but, note, that none of these are from scholars
I would identify as "activity theorists" and
I take your general point to require serious work on our part to understand,
and perhaps contribute to.

Could you
perhaps help us by providing a target text from object relations theory that
we might joint read when you get to the
other side of your current obligations? In the meantime, we have a LOT of
texts we are committed to reading with
our students and each other and we can keep your very clear questions in
mind while doing so.