[xmca] What Kind of Theory...?

From: Lois Holzman (lholzman@eastsideinstitute.org)
Date: Tue Jan 03 2006 - 14:42:52 PST

Dear XMCA-ers,

I'm happy to share news of an upcoming publication of interest ‹
The February, 2006 issue (Volume 16, no. 1) of the journal Theory &
Psychology is devoted to activity theory.

I began working on this special issue over two years ago.
It's been a long haul, including ‹ a propos of some conversations here about
language hegemony ‹ that I originally had non-native English speaking
authors from 2-3 countries as contributors, but we couldn't make it
work for the journal (which is pretty conservative stylistically).

I do hope some of you will take a look at this issue, which turned out
pretty good. Even better, begin to write for the journal!

Lois

Here are the contents:

 Editor's Note. Introduction
 LOIS HOLZMAN, pp.

Vygotsky and Consciousness as Con-Scientia, as Witnessable Knowing Along
With Others
 JOHN SHOTTER, pp.

 The 'Social' in Post-Vygotskian Theory
 HARRY DANIELS, pp.

The Properties of Mediated Action in Three Different Literacy Contexts in
South Africa
 CAROL MACDONALD, pp.

 Embracing History through Transforming It: Contrasting Piagetian versus
Vygotskian
 (Activity) Theories of Learning and Development to Expand Constructivism
within
 a Dialectical View of History
 EDUARDO VIANNA AND ANNA STETSENKO, pp.

 Activating Postmodernism
 LOIS HOLZMAN, pp.

 REVIEWS

 Facing Illness and suffering (Robert Kugelmann reviews Arthur W. Frankıs:
The Renewal of Generosity: Illness, Medicine and How to Live), pp.

 Looking over the Hedgerow (Trudy Dehue reviews Adrian C. Brock,
 Jonathan Louw and Willem van Hoornıs Rediscovering the History of
Psychology:
Essays inspired by the work of Kurt Danziger), pp.

You can view the announcement/table of contents at
http://www.psych.ucalgary.ca/thpsyc/Volume%2016/Contents.vol.16.no.1.html