[xmca] Student Suspended For Speaking Spanish in School

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Sun Dec 25 2005 - 07:03:42 PST

Happy Holidays everyone,

"The Student who Dared to Speak Spanish" looks like a popular
discussion point in some US media. I happened across this discussion
forum and had an urge to think about rules in activity theory, and
their interconnectedness with the roles and motivations that emerge
in contexts like these. I don't have the background to what happened,
but my interest was piqued by reading that the student made choices
of when to use what language. Perhaps a molehill mountain? I don't know.

Phil

http://digg.com/links/Student_Suspended_For_Speaking_Spanish_in_School