Re: [xmca] Artist as creator reminds me of combined motor method

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Tue Dec 13 2005 - 18:41:18 PST

If you substitute word "imitation" or "over-imitation" with MEDIATION --
then the possibilities of interpretation start to make more sense. Don't
you think?
There are still a lot of questions one may ask, but what this looks
like is that in presence of another "expert" humans would tend to use
the "expertise" rather than to try solving the problem on their own?
I am sure that not all the variables there are exhausted -- what if the
other is not an adult but a peer? What if the "experimenter" is someone
the "subject" does not like? etc... In other words -- if you vary the
quality of the social relationship, do you always get the same results?
Ana

Peg Griffin wrote:

>And then there is the performance of "overimitiation" -- did you see the
>report of a study in today's NY Times?
>http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/13/science/13essa.html?incamp=article_popular
>_1
>Apparently, chimps will imitate unnecessary steps if they can't see that
>they are unnecessary -- but use a transparent box and they "edit" and only
>imitate the steps that get to the goal. Kids, though, imitate the whole
>megillah. Transparent box or not. The article speculates why but I am
>guessing the performance people will entertain other possibilities...
>Peg

Ana Marjanovic-Shane

151 W. Tulpehocken St.

Philadelphia, PA 19144