Re: [xmca] concept as gambit

From: Mary K. Bryson (mary.bryson@ubc.ca)
Date: Thu Nov 17 2005 - 07:52:01 PST

Yes, Christopher Bollas -- I am chewing on "Becoming a Character -
Psychoanalysis and Self Experience" at the moment - The Shadow of the object
is also excellent. For decades I resisted reading object relations theory,
but actually, there are very significant elements of self-other formations
that are completely obscured by the rationalist foundations of say,
paradigmatic CHAT theory -- as in -- how do we deal with the role of
abjection in subjectification - the self as Other, sometimes to itself, and
sometimes Othered hegemonically... This is where I find it helpful and
important --- where it goes into the language of psychoanalytic, clinincally
motivated diagnosis, I find it obnoxious, paternalistic, and pathologizing,
and it reminds me why I resisted reading this stuff for so long...

Mary