Re: [xmca] concept as gambit

From: Victor (victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il)
Date: Tue Nov 15 2005 - 07:16:11 PST

Michael,

Surely, any dialectical consideration that concerns life activity must
address the interaction if you will of subject (understood as the
rationality of the agent) and object. The relation is not precisely one of
oscillation between object and subject, but rather of the aggregation of
ever more complex and specified systems of relations that join and unify
subject and object in a single concept/state.

The problem of subjectivity on the level of this discussion (at least as I
understand it) is not one of negation of subject by object, but of a highly
developed conscious rationality (which is itself a product of a long and
complex dialectical process of development of the categories of thought) in
confrontation with an already established social formation (in materialism)
or with "Life" (in Objective Idealism). My understanding of Vera's use of
the term "solo" does not refer to the subject as such, but to the
materialization of the subject's conscious thinking, objectified of course
as language or in some other material form, in social relations. Peter's
use of the term "gambit" is an even more loaded reference to this relation
between the objectified subjective consciousness of the agent and the social
context in which it emergences insofar as it indicates the essential
teleological character of the objectified consciousness.

I seriously doubt if the Robinsonade has much relevance here. At no point
in this discussion did anyone suggest that the soloist or the author of the
gambit has invented his contribution from the ground up. The very
possibility of participation of a subject in any kind of social
confrontation with others implies he shares an extensive common ground of
language, convention etc. with the other participants in the interaction.

Victor Friedlander-Rakocz
victor@kfar-hanassi.org.il