[xmca] discussion in context and the growth

From: Stetsenko, Anna (AStetsenko@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Thu Nov 10 2005 - 08:30:24 PST

Victor, thank you for raising interesting points. I will address them in my next message, even knowing that many on xmca might not be as interested in what is perhaps more a philosophical than a psychological level of discussion (I hope people are not too bored or bothered since they can disregard what is not relevant to them - which they probably largely do anyway already). But first I want to make a theoretical argument on related topic in what is our context on xmca, while making connection to other contexts - on modes and styles of discussion (continuing the thread between Victor and Mike).

This point is actually briefly hinted at in my paper: "An attempt to move beyond the canonical version of activity theory will be undertaken ...out of a conviction that the critical stance represents an important methodology that allows us to make sense of any theory. .. this critical methodology is consistent with the very spirit of activity theory that postulates the centrality of transformative and creative-and thus also necessarily critical-activity as a methodological tool for meaningfully dealing with any aspect of the world, including the activity of theoretical understanding."

In other words, critique is indeed a necessary condition for a meaningful discussion (you and Mike made this point too - there isn't much to disagree on). However, this can be expanded further given the context. Being critical is not in itself sufficient to render a discussion either meaningful or productive; the other condition is what Bill Barrow metaphorically referred to as 'taking inside' the view and arguments that you are critique, or as I interpret him - the condition of first making an effort at understanding and only then critiquing. In the Bakhtinian sense of recursive turns of meaning making and addressivity (others made this point too). Though understanding is never complete and cannot be complete (just as truth can not be absolute in any dialectical sense since it only exists relative to practical goals of activity - we agree here too, have you noticed?), certain degree of it is required.

If one the condition of understanding is not met, the discussion stops being meaningful and the tone and style, not grounded in understanding (or at least an attempt at it) comes to the fore and takes over as THE leading dimension preventing meaning making and growth.

Incidentally, the style and tone taking over substance of arguments due to misunderstanding did happen often in the past in the Soviet Union (in, or rather around the CHAT tradition) -- due to inability of often unwillingness to understand (there is 'affect behind intellect' after all, as Vygotsky suggested, including motives that we can't directly see but can impute if we need or want). I do not think LSV or ANL or Luria ever displayed it (they were too strong - as one of the reasons, I believe). But there were plenty of really bitter disputes not leading anywhere (Mike had witnessed some and described them with sadness in many of his earlier postings reflecting on his experiences in that country). This was unfortunately the style that stifled productive growth and also pushed away so many scholars, especially among younger generation, away from CHAT and this trend, sadly, conitnues even today (with the style persisting even today, although this is by far not the only cause).

It is critical to notice that these were and are disputes inside the country, among perceivably one's own 'culutral kin', with a tacit norm that harshness and disparaging are allowed for 'internal use' only - or what is perceived to be such use - and not while communicating to the 'outside world' such as, for example, with Anglo-Saxon (and other 'foreign') scholars. I think Dostoevsky actually has a description of such a peculiar tacit cultural norm. For me, an example of how culture is embedded and implicated in discourse (something to account for in the analysis of xmca discourse perhaps?). Hence the rather noticeable discrepancy in styles - while dealing with the two types of addressee -- which you notice if you know both contexts, but not likely to notice or experience if you are not directly, practically positioned in both of these contexts (this is why some never experienced this, as they report).

More importantly though. The type of discussion then that I argue for can be described as a creative and collaborative expansive elaboration (critique being embedded in it) on each other's arguments and this is precisely, I believe, what allows for and essentially is growth (of understanding and of selves) - in all its importance which Mike reminded about. With the collaborative spirit (metaphorically speaking, no telepaphy implied) necessarily embedded in the discussion (collaboration as essential to science is something I find important to ephasize in my works). Which certainly excludes and, importantly, simply does not require extreme harshness and disparaging (here on xmca we are not in the same practical context as some classics Victor referred to were; so I don't think this parallel exactly works). This is probably what Victor hints at too when he mentions Socratic dialogues ... with their porfound dialogicality and reciprocity and adressivity.

Perhaps this is all obvious to many of you - these simply are some things that are relevant given context and situation, because context and situation really matter, as Joe suggested -- and not to dwell on them but in order to be able to move on, hopefully creatively and collaboratively.

Anna Stetsenko