Re: [xmca] A. N. Leontiev/Personality

From: JAG (joe.glick@gmail.com)
Date: Tue Nov 08 2005 - 00:08:58 PST

I agree that one of the main issues that we face is the relation
between theory and practice, In the spirit of uniting theory and
praxis shouldn't we be focusing on the way in which a situation or
theoretical construct is analyzed? We can't think too clearly of the
theory/praxis relationship without some sense of how to analyze a
situation and how to identify our theory in accountable terms - of
praxis.

 While much of the discussion has been about theoretical entities - I
have been uncomfortable since sometimes it feels like we arguing or
discussing out of texts and not in terms of the more basic issue of
how to analyze a situation, (within which action, acitivity,
subjectiviity and whatever else - come into being). In this I think I
echo Mike's earlier (seemingly forgotten) post - that defining these
basic theorerical terms and "knowing" subjectivity instead of just
invoking it an an unanalyzed construct, is where the real problem is,
It is methodological and not just terrminological.

Perhaps I too am also too much a trained in terms of methodological
behaviorism - where claims about theory and its constituents have to
be backed up by something.

We all speak beautifully, in exactly the forms of refined discourse
and derobing of basic ideas, flaws, wrinkles, or whatever - but the
action, I think is less in our beautiful theoreical sounding speach
and what is involved at the level of of either analysis or action. Our
language can soothe or cut challenge or suppot - so much for speaking
- what is he work that is be be done heredct?

Can any of the differences be laid out in terms of programs for wise
action vs stupid action, subjectful and subject less activity
analysis, Do any of the words we use havve practical as opposed to
definitional and theoreticaly nested power? If we can't talk about
real things it's no clear what here is to talk about except forms of
talk and insterpretations that often lead nowhere,

Joe Glick
CUNY Graduate School