RE: [xmca] Objecting to objectification

From: David Preiss (davidpreiss@puc.cl)
Date: Fri Oct 28 2005 - 14:04:40 PDT

Thanks for clarifying, Ricardo. And no need to lurk. I do think that Mary's
reaction has a reciprocal. And it has to do with tolerance to "peripherical"
voices (from a USA perspective). Peripherical voices speak different. It
should not come as a surprise that I, as a Latin American, immediately
understood that there was not a sexist intention in your words. Now that you
clarified, I think that I can state more certainly that I was impressed by
the verbal violence implicit in Mary's reaction (and how rapidly it was
endorsed). I think that, to be fair, and to avoid flamming, as there was a
request for you to think twice before submitting, that request should be
made as well to those that judge you (and others) too rapidly. It is very
easy to judge others the way they act, it's more difficult to judge the
fairness of our own reactions. In my own view, judging the adequacy of
others' behaviors the way it was done here is not only similar to the French
policy of prohibiting religious symbols at schools but also is just an
straight path to preventive wars and similar interventions in distant places
that don't accommodate so easily to our view of what is democratic,
equalitarian and just.

David Preiss
Profesor Auxiliar / Assistant Professor
Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile
Escuela de Psicología
Av. Vicuña Mackenna 4860
Macul, Santiago,
Chile