Re: [xmca] Stetsenko paper -- questions

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 25 2005 - 06:53:58 PDT

Dear All,

I appreciate the very coherent and eloquent background to the
foundations of AT that Ana Stetsenko provides. The first few pages
are a good resource in those times when a student or colleague asks
for an introduction to AT and you ruminate long enough for her/him to
leave the room:-). The relationship of Vygotsky and Leontiev's work
to Marx's work is important and A.S. brings back the argument of the
immaturity of CHAT in terms of theoretical unification (see a paper
by John-Steiner and Minnis from several years ago).

Like Ana, I'm not sure where to start in a discussion of a paper of
such richness. My initial thoughts are what is meant by a humanised
world of human subjectivity - page 14นด of the original version
(the reference to Bakhtin is interesting)? The contestation of and
unclear relationships between goals and motives remain for me crucial
issues that I'd love others to help me with.

Ana asks:

"One thing that I would like to discuss more is the difference
between object relatedness when it is part of a subjective activity
and when it is part of the social activity. How do we conceptualize
this relationship and the "object" in two different ways? and how are
these two object-relatedness-es mutually connected?"

Couldn't social semiotics help here?

Thought starters for, for me, a great paper.

Phil