Re: [xmca] ISCAR - Sevilla 2005 -- 1. Marx and dialectics/ discourse/identity and 2. ractice/activity

From: bb (xmca-whoever@comcast.net)
Date: Sat Oct 08 2005 - 17:37:47 PDT

Ana, Steve, hopefully i understand the division of labor (dl) as yrjo intended, and i think i do, because it's in the manner of the collective hunt, and, in his change lab workshop in goteborg, I had the distinct impression that his formulation of chat with extended triangles, historical analysis, expansive learning, was around systems with these well formed elements. This makes a great deal of sense considering his approaches to developmental work research.

Conciousness as an ingredient comes from early on in marx's relation of conciousness and life, i tihnk, and later, but more productivley for me, Leont'ev wrote about as conciousness and activity. There is an article with this title, but i recall reading between the words of having read and reread as much of Leont'ev as i could.

If I couple the above with my recollection that nowhere have i seen vygotsky writing about division of labor, then it doesn't make sense to talk in an orthodox manner about the zoped of a toddler and an adult involving a division of labor -- although your notion, Ana, DOES make a lot of sense to me when I open up to new possibilities. I think it's just not explicitly in yrjo's formulation. But so, having explicitly made that demarcation, this is where we can be clear that you Ana, make your contributions in the evolution of the study of human activity.

Aside, what I recall having as one insight reading LBE is that Yjro describes a zoped between two systems of activity -- a very different and amazing thing.

There are other possible parallels that I see Ana -- such as the separation of motive and object that happens in the collective hunt, arising withthe division of labor, and the suspension of immediate need that vygotsky describes in social play, where there is in some sense a fluid, dynamic division of labor. Perhaps I'm just conjecturing here, or I'm thinking of what bodrova and leong have described.

Anyway, I think the points Steve made are where I wanted to go, as Mike said, the map's not the territory, and steve and I could be observing the very same situations, coming up with different analyses because of the tools we employed and our differences in intent. One of us could have a street map and the other a topo.

bb