Re: [xmca] ISCAR - Sevilla 2005 -- Play

From: Carrie Lobman (lobman@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Tue Oct 04 2005 - 14:41:08 PDT

I also attended Ana's workshop and it was one of
the most interesting and fun parts of the week
for me as well. The experience of transforming
Hamlet into a multicultural, multilingual, play
within a play within a play with people I had
never met before was very intimate and broke
through the usual conference alienation. It was a
reminder of how important it is create activity
together, not just do the activity of talking about activity.

I would love to talk more about--or even more
appealing--do more play on XMCA. I was sorry I
missed the dialogues about the Playworlds
Projects a few months ago. I found the sessions
on this work to be some of the most exciting and
optimistic parts of the conference. I am in the
process of reading more about the work in all its
locations--Finland, San Diego, Japan...so that I
can include it in a piece I am writing for a new
Encyclopedia of Early Childhood Education. It
resonates with the work I do using improvisation
to support teachers to be more creative and
innovative in their work at all levels of the
school system. One of the things I love about the
playworlds work, and I mean this with the utmost
respect, is that it supports adults to be weirder
with children--and in my opinion, this opens up all sorts of possibilities.

Carrie Lobman
Graduate School of Education
Rutgers University