Re: [xmca] Questions for ISCAR

From: Shirley Franklin (s.franklin@dsl.pipex.com)
Date: Sun Sep 11 2005 - 10:22:39 PDT

I think my question relates to the positive interplay (or not) between
researchers, practitioners and policy-makers - i.e Government - to
create positive change in notions and practice

In England , increasingly, dictats emerge from the educational
establishment about the how's and why's of teaching. They issue
documents, based on deterministic notions of learning styles, totally
ignoring the impact of culture. They , together with consultants,
promote packaged notions of teaching and learning which are deeply
unsocial, uncultural, and are convenient packages which are appealingly
simplistic.

So my question is about influence and changing dominant notions. and
practices. Examples of success would be great! And ideas, so that the
academics and the practitioners (in primary and secondary schools) can
influence progress.

Shirley

>>> mike

Shirley Franklin