Re: [xmca] Help with article

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Fri Aug 26 2005 - 02:48:56 PDT

Hi Leroy,

Well, that drama in my life was 2 years ago, and I'm pleased that it
has led to Wardekker's paper getting some attention. I found it a very
useful paper back then and have enjoyed re-reading it today.

I still wouldn't like to go back to that day when things sizzled and I
only had a partial back up in place. Glug!

Phil

A provoking quote from the paper:

"Even if research is focused on the personal plane, we should be aware
of the community level of activity and of the dynamic character of that
activity as the context of the personal plane. In other words, research
is not about a stable and objective world or about stable narratives of
it, but it is always about change and learning and its relation to
actions. In the other paradigms, change as a result of learning comes
after the research has been done; in CHAT (or at least, in my
interpretation of it), learning and the resulting change are the object
of the research, and a state of the world, or of a person, at any given
moment is interpreted as the result of change and development. Thus,
the product of research is not knowledge in the sense of a product that
can be transferred to other persons and situations; it is an
understanding of the change processes in a specific situation that may
or may not have implications for other situations. Knowledge is a
mediational means for focusing our attention on specific aspects of a
practice"