Re: [xmca] change in education

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jul 31 2005 - 08:07:14 PDT

Dear Dr. Russell
 I hope it is clear that I, too believe that there are teachers out there
who care deeply about their student, will do anything they
can (including working a lot of overtime and spending their own money) to
make their students lives potentially more
productive........ Where, perhaps, we differ, is about whether the sorts of
changes we are discussing, changes that
might be called "developmenal" in that they involve qualitative shifts in
the system of education, can be achieved entirely
through bottom up processes operating in a part of the social order. With
respects to all sorts of developmental phenomena
(I take learning to read to be one), it seems like a combination of top down
and bottom up processes (a dialectical process,
perhaps)? are needed.
 That said, might you consider having your article, "A paradigm shift: A
case study of innovation in an educational setting" be
 linked to the xma "papers for discussion" page for discussion when the LCA
discussion has run its course (we have still
not fully incorporated Bernstein, whose work strikes me as very important to
the discussion). The paper is relevant in lots of
ways to XMCA, I think. What do you think?
 On another matter, if you would not mind, I would find it easier to refer
to you as Donna since you sign your name that way. The
use of honorific titles in this medium exacerbates the tendencies to create
hierarchies where they need not exist. There are certainly
wide variations in expertise, but they are multi-dimensional in the highest
degree. For example, you have expertise as a classroom
teacher while I have never been one and do not believe that I have any right
to give advice to teachers about how to teach under the
conditions of their work, which I find far too difficult to deal with. So
let me consider you an expert from whom I can learn, especially
when, as you have done, you make your voice heard to the benefit of this
community of learners.
mike