Re: [xmca] RE: meaning and sense and has anyone any opinion

From: ruqaiya hasan (Ruqaiya.Hasan@ling.mq.edu.au)
Date: Tue Jul 26 2005 - 00:41:34 PDT

Peg
how interesting. Most systemic linguists would agree with you that
paradignmatic syntagmatic are not opposing categories but complementary and
that neither can be viewed as prior; in fact they are simply ways of
exploring the internal organization of language (as are langue/parole) --
temporal ordering does not come into it.

But I didn't know that the paradigmatic syntagmatic was a feature of Prague
School though I have read a good bit of their work. Linguists today would
trace the pair to Saussure (who talked of associative and syntagmatic) whose
views were clarified most strenously by Hjelmslev and by Firth followed most
clearly in Halliday & colleagues' writings.

What I don't know of course is how this distinction specifically relates to
Vygotsky's views. Clearly, when he makes the difference between signal and
symbol, I would imagine that the working of a sign as symbol becomes
possible only as experience of the paradigmatic relations of an item grows,
which naturally implies that the item is likely to have been encountered in
many/varied syntagmatic environments.

I would really like to know where I can read anything of Vygotsky's with
reference to this distinction (other than remarks in Thought and Language
and other well known publications edited by Cole or Wertsch). Could someone
please help me. Many thanks

Ruqaiya