Re: [xmca] LCA: Speaking of antinomies

From: Wolff-Michael Roth (mroth@uvic.ca)
Date: Sun Jul 24 2005 - 09:13:38 PDT

Hi Mike and others,
a further comment about teachers and change.

After I left high school to teach at the university, I thought about
graduate training as "apprenticeship" and "legitimate peripheral
participation" but made the error that I conceived of community as
something stable to which graduate students were coming and becoming a
member. I was a member, and therefore, implicitly, had to change as
little as the community.

It was through my interactions with graduate students that I learned
that I could learn and change. This is how I see it today, that our
community changes not only because it accepts new members who produce
and reproduce the collective (xmca, CHAT, science education, whatever)
in new ways, but also because the community itself and its old-timers
change. There is therefore a double change, a double dialectic that
produces historical change in and of communities.

One of the struggles in which I not only learned but also learned about
learning (à la Bateson) is described in an online piece, which I
co-authored with Stuart Lee, a former doctoral student now working as
policy analyst for Environment Canada.

Lee, S. H., & Roth, W.-M. (2003). Becoming and belonging: Learning
qualitative research through legitimate peripheral participation. (64
paragraphs). Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum: Qualitative
Social Research, 4(2).
http://www.qualitative-research.net/fqs-texte/2-03/2-03leeroth-e.htm

and in another piece:

Lee, S. H., & Roth, W.-M. (2000). Autobiography and the paradox of
change: (Dis)locating ourselves in the process. Research in Science
Education, 30, 57–73.

It is only if we, the old-timers, radically open ourselves to change
that we enter truly democratic societies, collectivities, communities.
. .

Michael