Re: [xmca] sense and meaning

From: Ana Marjanovic-Shane (ana@zmajcenter.org)
Date: Tue Jul 12 2005 - 22:54:35 PDT

Mike,
Maybe I take a different position, and maybe not. Here is a more
concrete explanation of what I mean as "language alone" and "language as
independent of a situation".
I am thinking of a possibility to refer to objects actions events that
are not either present nor part of a joint activity, nor are they in any
way connected to the actual "situation" of the interacting participants.
Of course, now we must also define "situation" -- I make a difference
between a situation in which I communicate about the "immediate",
present reality -- like in the example with Michael's chicken, and many
examples with babies. On the other hand, language (and other symbolic
means) is used to communicate about things/actions/relations/events that
are not part of the immediate situation, and or to create new
situations. In a way I am thinking of the use of language which is
similar to the activity of play: to tell stories, to create figured
worlds and fictive worlds. Vygotsky described play as a dominance of
meaning over the object/action -- [a stick is not a stick any more, but
a "horse"]. Language and all symbolic systems have that same ability --
to re-describe, to create a different way of seeing, to change the
immediate situation. In other words, to bring ["polozhit"(Russian)
"predstaviti" (Serbian)] a totally different ways of seeing and
"objects" existing only in the narrative into the focus of the
participants. That does not mean that a root of language is not in the
processes of joint activity -- on the contrary -- I do think that
activity is where language starts. My point is that there is one more
step between communication with signals and communication using symbols.
What exactly enables signs to detach from the immediate, unmediated
situation and start to be used in such a way that you can talk about
past, and future, about fantastic never existing creatures, about
unknowns and never experienced -- what enables them to become a means of
deeper exploration and a means of understanding?
This is how I meant "language as independent of situation" -- obviously
it is never independent of some.. situation.
Your example with suddenly using Russian illustrates not only that
people have to share many situations and activities in order to learn to
use the same language in a meaningful way -- It also illustrates that
you are using language to communicate way beyond the "situation" in
which you and your students are sitting in a classroom. You are actually
talking about "thoughts" and "ideas" of people long time dead. In order
to be able to do that -- language not only has to be learned through
associating the same sounds with the same activities, actions and
operations, and with same "things". That is a necessary condition -- but
not sufficient to explain how these associations (of sounds with actual
actions/operations etc) can transcend actual situations, can be
transfered to the new situations or used to invent "make believe"
fantastic worlds that nobody ever experienced.
But I am not saying that language (or any other symbolic systems) ever
becomes "independent". I am only trying to say that there is an
interaction between two very different aspects of language -- one is its
situatedness, dependence on the context, participants, activities,
practical reality of a moment. The other is its "abstract", independent
side -- its capacity to be "bigger" than the moment, to have its
different histories (cultural, social, group, individual), and to be
inventive -- used in novel ways (metaphors). These two are in constant
interaction -- and THAT is where I see the greatest challenge for us to
understand what is actually going on -- the nature of the interaction
between the situated aspect of language and its "ideational" aspect.

It is 10 to 2 a.m. in Philadelphia, and I have to get up at 6 a.m.
Good night.
(BTW: In context of the whole post I just wrote, the last two lines mean
something quite different than the actual words they use -- and that is
this both situated and totally "ideal" side of language).

Ana