Re: [xmca] Re: London disaster

From: Tiina Kontinen (tiina.kontinen@helsinki.fi)
Date: Fri Jul 08 2005 - 00:21:18 PDT

..and the thing is that we are all more or less in the category of
powerful. I just attended two conferences in UK related to African &
development studies where a paper after paper (presented mostly by white,
Western scholars)showed a variety of ways of power and domination
the "West" has over the "rest". Considering academics, the African
professors put strongly the access to information in the agenda: no funds
for books, no access to the massess of articles produced, most holding
hotmail- email addresses with limited quota...

The overall message in those two conferences was that the desire for and
disappointment to the unfulfilled promises of modernity and development
should be taken seriously. This all academic stuff was suddenly put in a
different perspective while standing yesterday morning at the Russell
Square underground station and waiting for the metro that never came, only
the blast and smoke arrived. Someone, in other context of course, got
enough of, not only violence, but also empty promises?

-Tiina

Lainaus David Daniel Preiss Contreras <davidpreiss@puc.cl>:

> Alas! As always, the innocent pay for the bad decisions of the powerful.
> wonder how these attacks are REALLY commented on in the darkness of the
> G8
> summit. What's next? And where? The media are looking to Roma. But I
> guess
> something is already happening in places that most of us are not even
> aware
> of.
> Thanks, Peter for putting this topic on the agenda of this list.
> David

Tiina Kontinen (MA)
Assistant lecturer
Institute of Development Studies