Re: [xmca] re: LCA Vygotsky, Halliday and Bernstein

From: ruqaiya hasan (Ruqaiya.Hasan@ling.mq.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 22:57:23 PDT

Gordon hello!

thanks for these generous comments.

well, my feeling is that most probably Bernstein and Vygotsy (as also
Halliday and Vygotsky) would have got on very well; they have so much in
common -- they attach importance to the same social semiotic cognitive
issues and all three are close readers of Marx. Pity we will never know -- I
truly believe Vygotsky was a phenomenon, just like Whorf -- another scholar
who like Bernstein got no press or only bad press in the U.S. But his time
will come, I am certain.

I don't know Gordon about bringing in my views on activity into the debate.
I don't really think I know what you folks mean by the word activity --
though I have just asked a question on this.

That makes two of us: I too am going to be pre-occupied (prior engagement
until next week) so most probably I will not be participating in the
discussions on this listserve until mid-week next week.

Have a good conference Gordon

Ruqaiya