Re: [xmca] LCA:Complementarity

From: ruqaiya hasan (Ruqaiya.Hasan@ling.mq.edu.au)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 22:02:22 PDT

Hello Mike
yes I am in total agreement with you. If something I wrote gives the
impression that Luria thought his Uzbek subjects did not have 'higher mental
functions' then that is a bad piece of writing by me, for which apologies.
In fact I can't quite recall but somewhere I have expressly quoted Luria as
attributing the results to the educational experience of the subjects (may
be in Reading picture reading: a study in ideology and inference in Foley
(ed) Language, Education and Discourse. London: Continuum 2004). And I also
share your "scepticism about the enthusiasm for schooling that Luria
espoused". I guess I was arguing more that knowing the careful thinking of
both Vygotsky and Luria, it is to be doubted that they would have attributed
the Uzbek results to absence of higher mental function; I was particularly
keen to bring into the debate that the "symbolic" function of language as
envisaged by Vygotsky is a function that every normal human has; if that is
the quality of language essential to semiotic mediation then all of us have
this experience; if there are distinct orders of semiotic mediation (shall
we say Bernstein's codes) then it is only reasonable to ask that they and
their etiology be identified nonambiguously. Has this been done?

On Ochs and Schiefflin, I guess their work post-dates Halliday's. Are their
many references to Halliday in their work? SFL linguists typically like to
have an explicit analysis of language along with statements relating
language to culture, cognition etc. So that maybe one reason for the absence
of reference to Ochs and Schiefflin's work. On another tack, I have often
thought it would be great to have someone doing their doctoral research on
"the politics of academic referencing"!

Ruqaiya