Re: [xmca] LCA-- transparency

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jul 04 2005 - 14:59:04 PDT

I did not understand this phrase, Bill.
As in other activty, the language we use to direct our eyes becomes
internalized and the use of our eyes during driving becomes as looking while
driving becomes an operation, even more so when we consider the learning and
predicting of the brain as it mediates many of our unconscious lookings.

The example of learning to drive and the transformations that occur with
gaining expertise is, I recall, an example from Leontiev. Is that so? If so,
perhaps some of the SFL folks could talk about how the role
of language as one of the mediational means in this transformation changes.
In all of this, I assume our major objective in THIS discussion is how to
eal with language in activity.

In this regard, unable to answer you question, I will answer with two other
questions:

1. For the novice, can "learning to drive the car" be considered an activity
in and of itself? Say, for a 15 1/2 year old? Or it better considered a
complex form of action, where the motive is to gain independence, etc?
2. Might the relation of language to acquisition of driving expertise be
accompanied by a transformation of language as explicit to implicit semiotic
means, a la Ruqaiya?

Ed-- I will have to think more your example and interpretation and how to
relate it to the Bateson example. Are the kids you are talking about to be
considered expert in their use of cane's as tools of navitation?
mike