Re: [xmca] Cole xmca glitch and other housekeeping issues

From: Phil Chappell (philchappell@mac.com)
Date: Sun Jul 03 2005 - 16:37:29 PDT

On Monday, July 04, 2005, at 03:31AM, Mike Cole <lchcmike@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi Mike and All,

In terms of timing, we're a week off the original schedule and now should be starting the third stream - disussing two of Ruqaiya's papers. The first, titled "Semiotoc mediation, language and society" introduces Bernstein into our picture, and because it uses Halliday's sociosemiotic theory in some detail, I thought it would help to post a summary of the key concepts of his theory, which I did last Saturday, headed "Language as Social Semiotic". Harry also posted his paper for ISCAR last Thursday as a starter to this stream.

In the meantime, returning to glossed issues is certainly proving fruitful - I have benefited greatly from the "transparency" discussion, and, as you say, it would be nice to hear from more of the silent ones ;-)

No 4th of July frivolities in this part of the world, so back to work!

Cheers,
Phil

It appears that I have been experiencing a glitch in receiving xmca model, perhaps associated with
a shift from weber to a different social science computer here at UCSD, so I have started going to
the xmca web page to keep get the sequence of posts. My apologies if my posts have been more
jumbled than their usual jumbled selves. Because it is a long weekend, this situation will likely continue
for a couple of days which may have the virtue, for you all, of reducing my volume of gabble.

In this connection, the LSV "concrete psychology" piece should be posted Tuesday.

Because I went to the web page I noted two things that I thought worth mentioning.

First, there are a lot of people on XMCA these days, and I am sure everyone would like to hear what
questions, observations, and noticings they have about the general theme of language and activity that
Phil and his team have put together.

Second, I am uncertain about where we are and what is appropriate to comment on. According to the
original schedule, Daniels and Hasan are presumably finished leading a discussion of the Hassan papers
but from the discussion we appear back a way.

Before you go off to your meeting, Phil, could you fill us in on where we are supposed to be?
mike