Re: [xmca] LCA - More questions/comments on Halliday and Wells

From: Jim Martin (jmartin@mail.usyd.edu.au)
Date: Thu Jun 30 2005 - 15:09:19 PDT

Hi Kristen

People have been using Halliday's ideas to work on modalities other than
langauge, including activity, for over a decade now - inspired by Kress
& van Leeuwen's Reading Images. A list of refs is attached. Most of
the work is on image; Martinec focusses on action.

For affect in the same model see:

Macken-Horarik, M & J R Martin [Eds.] 2003 Negotiating heteroglossia:
social perspectives on evaluation. (Special Issue of Text 23.2).

Martin, J R & David Rose 2003 Working with Discourse: meaning beyond the
clause. London: Continuum. Chapter 2.

Martin, J R & P R R R White in press The Language of Evaluation:
appraisal in English. London: Palgrave.

Attached also a selection of refs to SFL inspired langauge in education
work... and some of its co-texts from a recent paper of mine; I think
you'll find localised and expanded contexts considered.

cheers

Jim