Re: Activity theory, ontology and critical realism(!?)

From: Wilma Clark (mcwacky@freenet.co.uk)
Date: Wed Jun 15 2005 - 02:03:29 PDT

---- Original Message ----
From: mcwacky@freenet.co.uk
To: johnsonmr1@cardiff.ac.uk
Subject: FW: Re: Activity theory, ontology and critical realism(!?)
Date: Wed, 15 Jun 2005 10:00:02 +0100

Hi Mike J.

You might find this (very readable) book useful... whilst it does
have more of a semiotic (meaning-making) slant, it has a lot of info
on activities in the science classroom which you might find useful.

"Multimodal Teaching and Learning: The Rhetorics of the Science
Classroom" (2001) Kress, G. Jewitt, C. et al. London: Continuum.

Also, there's an interesting article in Nature Journal this month
about interconnectivity and parallels between social networks,
communities of practice and scientific 'networks' (biological, etc.)
which might be of interest. Not sure if that's what you're looking
for.

Uncovering the overlapping community structure of complex networks in
nature and society p814
Gergely Palla, Imre Derényi, Illés Farkas and Tamás Vicsek

doi: 10.1038/nature03607

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v435/n7043/pdf/nature03607.pdf