two people one computer

From: B Smith (bsmith2530@rogers.com)
Date: Tue Jun 14 2005 - 03:12:48 PDT

Dear folks on xmca,
I am really interested in reading studies that speak to
two students using one computer. When our Board of Governors granted us funds for a laptop cart with 10 computers, I was thrilled at the opportunity to promote more partner collaboration on various classroom inquiries. If we received funding for a full class set, my teachers would have naturally moved into the "teach the individual" mode, but I see this as a great opportunity. Working one machine to one students is not an opportunity for co-construction of knowledge.
Very eager to read or hear more about pedagogically sound reasons why this can be a rich and rewarding experience.

Barbara Smith
The Sterling Hall School
Toronto, Canada