video

From: Lara Beaty (lbeaty@gc.cuny.edu)
Date: Sat May 21 2005 - 22:31:19 PDT

I agree that digital video is a powerful tool for research and
representation--one with at least two obstacles. I've just submitted
with my dissertation an electronic version with video clips because the
context of my research was high school video production courses. The
technology is not difficult to learn, but a major technical problem is
the amount of memory video requires. My electronic dissertation was
3.54 GB and required a dvd. (Without the videos for now, I've just
placed it at http://lbeaty.freeshell.org .) As electronic journals
become more readily available, this is the biggest obstacle.

The second problem is to use video with adequate attention to what the
camera is showing. Based on Bellman and Jules-Rosettes' (1977) work, I
used informant-made videos and studied how students used the cameras.
When using videos without an analytical eye on the camera operator, it
is easy to forget what effect the camera has on what is perceived.

On the other hand, videos show many of the details of an activity,
allowing analyses to be shared in ways that are otherwise impossible.
It is for this reason that it became the subject of my dissertation and
I devoted some time to learning how to use it.

Lara