AERA mini-course

From: Elina Lampert-Shepel (ens7@columbia.edu)
Date: Fri Apr 22 2005 - 12:43:16 PDT

Hi, everyone,
Time flies. I assume that we all got from AERA back to piles of
papers on the table and numerous e-mails to respond on top of
teaching and research. So before I am distanced from the event, I
want to say thank you to

 - Ana for organizing mini-course and letting us all to have
meaningful interactions with the participants. It was also a
pleasure to be reintroduced to the Instructors and the work they
are doing.it was great to CHAt and chat with all of you...:-) I
hope that in the future mini-course there will be also an
opportunity to present the partnerships within CHAT as well as the
discuss the diversity of theories and practices identified as CHAT.

- Mike for a powerful talk on "Non-understanding Russian psychology"
he gave on Russian sig. It made me go back to reflecting on CHAT in
the life of the people I know internationally. From such jokes as
Davydov's remark that the glass of vodka could mediate the
ascending from abstract to concrete to Carpey's statement that
Vygotskianism is a way of life, there is something in this
theoretical framework that makes it a personal experience for many
of us. I think that the power of CHAT and its appeal is that it can
be an idea, concept, methadology, value or other. And in all these
stances it has transformational potential.

Thinking aloud,
Elina

Elina Lampert-Shepel
Assistant Professor
Graduate School of Education
Mercy College New Teacher Residency Program
Mercy College
66 West 35th Street
New York, NY 10001
(212) 615 3367

I have on my table a violin string. It is free. I twist one end of
it and it responds. It is free. But it is not free to do what a
violin string is supposed to do - to produce music. So I take it,
fix it in my violin and tighten it until it is taut. Only then it
is free to be a violin string.
               Sir Rabindranath Tagore.