Fwd: Re: ponder this

From: Michael JOHNSON (johnsonmr1@Cardiff.ac.uk)
Date: Wed Apr 06 2005 - 09:30:13 PDT

if at first... (thanks Bruce - you're one wonderful listadmin!)

>>> Michael JOHNSON 04/04/2005 10:50:36 >>>
a couple of thoughts then, as you have successfully lifted me above wading through post-vacation email...

'the more things change...' - I felt that the piece over-eggs the techno-rhetoric - particularly after attending a seminar by Lucy Suchman recently (Recurring Rhetorics of Technological Innovation). 10 years has been a magic figure - just near enough to the present, just long enough into the future to speak beyond our ability to realistically predict what may or may not happen. I was people-watching yesterday morning (lazy Sunday style) and noticed a neighbour drive off and return with the huge wad that has become our Sunday newspapers. I believe that 'reading the paper' (and all that this entails) as a leisure activity will take more than 10 years to kill off - that is, until electronic paper replaces newsprint...

Best wishes,

mike

(hope that wasnt too prosaic! at least here's one lurker to the surface ;o)

>>> lchcmike@gmail.com 03/04/2005 18:52:24 >>>
Thanks for posting that media history piece, Linda. I am teaching the
introduction to Communication this quarter, starting with 1984 and ending
with ,.,..;. well, 2014 would do as a date. If others are interested, I am
sure happy to discuss. We have a lot on the table/sreen, but people appear
distracted by more important, local matters.

Noting a glitch on xmca's way of listing members (the real members are not
on the members page which is mostly a relic of the past, strewn with dead
links, while the real membership is visible by cliking on the blinking sign
on button), I was struck by how many people were signed up for xmca from
whom we never hear. Since the web discussion is available in a
treadeddiscussion archive and is so convenient that way, I am puzzled why
people would want to be receiving xmca mail they have no intention of
responding to mixed in with their daily spam. Maybe xmca is spam garnishing?

What do you think, as Eugene was want to say in an earlier life?
mike

PS-- I hope it was clear that it was Ana who wrote the butterfly poem. I may
have inadvertantly mis-posted. Only the butterfly stragglers inhabit our
garden today.