RE: Capitalism Sucks - RE: Breaking away?

From: Cunningham, Donald J. (cunningh@indiana.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 19:16:02 PST

Grinch, huh. That must account for the green ring around some of the
quarries.

It's my bed time so I will be brief but there are several literatures
one could consult. David Kirshner cited one today, identity. The stone
cutter has a well established identity but this identity does not allow
him to feel comfortable in the building his stone enabled. The son is
struggling with his identity. He says he is a "cutter" (the actual term
we use is "stoney"). His father disagrees! So what is he?

I link identity and umwelt, one's personal world. The strength of the
movie "Breaking Away" is that it touched a "real" difference that
persists to this day in Bloomington. I'm sure a number of university
towns have the same town/gown issues. Is learning the acquisition of
skills or the cultivation of an identity that others come to recognize?
Wenger's recent work is another literature that has stressed identity.
Most of the "social semiotic" literature is about this. One
discontinuity is that between the identity an individual assumes for
him/her self and what others recognize. I for example, am a legend only
in my own mind!

None of this is particularly empirical in what I take to be the spirit
of your request. What would you prefer?

Don Cunningham
Indiana University