RE: development: loss, destruction, transformation

From: White, Phillip (Phillip.White@cudenver.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 29 2005 - 16:04:03 PST

Dorie - i'm reminded of Penelope Eckart's "Jock's & burnouts" where within the school the jock's were apprenticing the adults in the school to enter in their world, and the burnouts were apprenticing adults outside of school to enter the world apart from school (and schooling) - very much a break away -

also, Hilton Als' "The women" is a narrative history about how he wanted to become a Negress. Very early in his life he wanted to become a Jew. His family had emigrated from Barbados to New York City - multiple break aways here.
just to say, yes, i think your example works.

phillip