RE: Games, Learning & Society Conference 2005: Call for Papers

From: kurt squire (kdsquire@education.wisc.edu)
Date: Wed Mar 09 2005 - 15:12:42 PST

Thanks! If you're interested in those issues from a learning sciences point
of view, Constance Steinkuehler, one of Jim Gee's students has been doing a
24 month cognitive ethnography of lineage 2, globally the most popular MMO.

https://mywebspace.wisc.edu/steinkuehler/web/index.html

I've dabbled a bit in the area as well, as I think has Jay Lemke. Anyway, I
agree that it's fascinating stuff, particularly when you start looking at
some of the implications of such a global play space. One of the better
stories that constance shared at the state of play conference in NY was
about virtual racism in regards to Chinese players who make a living selling
in game currencies to western players, as you can make a very good living by
Chinese standards just playing the game and selling what you make to a
western players.

I find it particularly interesting that this kind of experience could be
"normal" for a 14 year-old kid growing up in Nebraska.