Re: Nate's interesting question

From: Bramble House (info@bramblehouse.net)
Date: Mon Mar 07 2005 - 00:40:27 PST

...just to follow-up on Jay's and Nate's provocative statements, and the
ensuing
conversations, the question, it seems to me, can be more concerned with our
own experience,
that if we were to deconstruct education based on our own experiences, which
is the
basis of most postmodern deconstruction, and we were to find it wanting...
what then?
If not state-sanctioned curriculum/schooling... then what?
(the impulsive reaction, no doubt, is that "it was good enough for me, so
why not
for young folk following in.. my...footsteps?" The road to ruin... and so
on. ... )

There is, indeed, a need for the basics of reading/writing (and here I'll
impose a wee idiosyncrasy, that
writing ought to be both typing and script, hand-writing, legibility with
pen/cil and so on) - and
arithmetic... and then what? If we truly critique what is worth knowing,
what is worth teaching?

It seems to me this is the heart of the question... not just what are
schools for, but
what is really worth knowing? A critical education is not an impossible
curriculum, and given the
ambiguity of popular culture, a critical experience with "knowledge" would
be valuable, ... and yet,
if not in "schools" then where? How?

For example, a history of one's nation-state is critical because we live
within distinct
nation-states, and yet, each nation has an anxious history of violence and
persecution that is
always disguised in realms of patriotism...so, what do we do? Really. How do
we teach a history
that is honest, when documented history is contradictory to state-sanctioned
history? And
is critical history possible when a nation-state is paying for an
"education?"

Content questions are useful, as they can lead to context. And while it is
useful to understand
how people/children learn, it is also useful to consider how what people
learn is framed by forces
much larger than the 'how'...

I reviewed a Canadian book years ago that proposed a radical approach to
education, one that
involved apprenticing to kinds of professions and not just book-learning...
the idea was kind of cool,
really, that rather than classrooms one organized kinds of work-study
programs. Not just learning a
trade, but learning how one works in the world, how one's craft makes sense
in the world and the community,
and so on... stuff like that is possibly global, not just Western.
I don't know. Really, though, these are excellent questions.

Me thoughts.
Cheers,
Diane

Diane Hodges