Re: What's new in classroom configurations

From: Kevin Leander (kevin.leander@vanderbilt.edu)
Date: Tue Mar 01 2005 - 07:34:05 PST

>Interesting responses from Jay, Phillip, Lara,
>Imaj, Mike and Andy (the links of Andy's show
>some variations in utilising classroom space,
>for those who haven't looked). I was initially
>intrigued both from the point of view of power
>relations between teacher and students, as well
>as the potential for more timely and sensitive
>interventions from the teacher during student to
>student interaction. I take people's points that
>the metaphor of surveillance can be critically
>applied in very useful ways. However I just
>wonder, from the point of view of the teacher
>being able to provide assistance contingent upon
>small group needs (rather than the control over
>student behaviour that the author lent toward),
>whether, as Imaj says, the "social activity
>itself that is the dominant spatializing force"
>be afforded greater guidance and support from
>the teacher in this, or a similar use of
>space????

Interesting examples and conversation. In a
wireless school I've done some research in, I've
noted how classroom physical arrangements have
been transformed in order to allow teachers more
surveillance of student "off task" behavior--an
attempt, as Iraj notes, to achieve a Deleuzian
control society of connecting up multiple spaces.

I tend to agree with Iraj's note on how produced
physical spaces or the built environment in some
sense supports or hinders the social activity it
is associated with. A wireless school can be a
good example of how spatial conceptions (e.g.,
how school pedagogy and authority are
spatialized) can dominate material spaces.
But--there are slippages/thirds/fissures/openings
in these new productions. Material spaces and
embodied arrangements are not separate from
power/knowledge in their histories and they are
not separate (or made static) from
power/knowledge in ongoing practice. How to
create social-semiotic-learning maps of these
new/old spaces is a real challenge. I wonder how
it's being done in this case, and if what's being
evaluated will make evident whatever change there
may be.

Like Lara, one of the things I would be
interested in knowing about more in the original
example is how the "boards" are used as common
objects of representation and how they circulate.

Kevin

--
Kevin Leander, Ph.D.
Vanderbilt University