RE: Resistance and speaking out

From: Judy Diamondstone (jdiamondstone@clarku.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 30 2005 - 08:15:37 PST

Recently, a group of local people, most of whom didn't otherwise know each
other, met to "reframe" the issues we care about, with Lakoff in hand. For
instance, on health care, we argued that the prosperity of the nation
depends on healthy citizens, that health care is a mutual fund -- shared
risks, shared benefits. Each reframing elicited much discussion, &
afterwards, we wrote letters to the editor. Small gestures, who knows to
what effect on those who don't agree, but I think consdequential for those
of us who participated. Hope participants in this thread take the
conversation elsewhere, too.

Judy