Re: Resistance and speaking out

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 29 2005 - 12:49:28 PST

David and Jay--

Peg has proposed a way to connect through our communities to people
interested in
being involved in the deep crisis we find ourselves in nationally. And
some of us may
be able to operate effectively outside of our local settings, as David
suggests, while
other may not.

May I propose that we have plenty to do in our own communities including our
places of work-- colleges and universities? After all, they are as
much of the problem
as the solutions. Locally, I am putting a lot of time and concern into
appaling educational regime at my university. The current practices
are inneffective, inequitable, and I have
decided I can no longer engage in the regime. The result is a lot of
extra work on many fronts, but it is at least on a battleground where
I have some acknowledged expertise
and many years of experience, so given that I am willing to put my
time on the line,
it seems an appropriate place to spend that time.

I know of others on the XMCA list who are similarly engaged.

In addition, there are legitimate reasons for believing that part of
the local educational
solution lies in finding genuine links between university and
community that blend
theory and practice. Again, a way to put leveraged resources where our
mouths are.

my 2 cents
mike

PS-- I believe that anyone with tenure should really examine what they
are doing if they are not actively engaged in changing the system that
has guaranteed them a livlihood. If they do not, that guarantee may be
withdrawn. In fact, it may be withdrawn regardless. I
have seen that happen in my lifetime, and believe me, it can happen
here..... again.