Re: Scaffolding

From: Peter Smagorinsky (smago@coe.uga.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 24 2005 - 02:55:00 PST

If you haven't got time to read or reread War and Peace, you might try the
HBO series The Wire, which similarly is a drama in which each actor is
constrained by his institutional milieu (for the most part, the police
force or the drug dealing culture, which are parallel institutions in this
case). Although David Simon (the program's architect, whose experiences as
a crime reporter for the Baltimore Sun provide the grist for the
storylines, and who co-wrote the overall story and some of the shows with
Ed Burns, a former Baltimore cop) probably hasn't read what we read on this
list, I'd say that he's produced one of the few chat-oriented programs ever
to appear in the US media.

If you go this route, I'd recommend watching it in sequence (unlike any
other program except 24, the story is stretched over the length of both the
season and the whole 3-season sequence, and individual episodes do not have
stand-alone stories) and starting by watching the first episode with David
Simon's commentary, in which he talks about the genesis and vision of the
program. Other episodes on the first disk also include directors'
commentaries which are also very interesting.

Perhaps not Tolstoy, but about as close as you can get in US television.
See http://www.hbo.com/thewire/?ntrack_para1=leftnav_category0_show5. A lot
of violence and profanity, and some nudity if you're faint of heart. But it
illustrates a lot of the principles central to a chat approach in a
riveting story.

Peter