Re: Scaffolding

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 23 2005 - 08:33:12 PST

Excellent "scaffolding" for me, Nate! :-)

Clearly the conceptions of scaffolding and Zoped are related. Bruner's
description at some points appears to map quite well onto Jim's
wertsch's description of his mother-child interaction work in, for
example, *Vygotsky and the Social Formation of Mind*. Peg Griffin and
I gave an extended critique of the scaffolding idea in the 1984 paper
called "Current activity for the future" in Rogoff and Wertsch volume.

Are you saying that zopeds are not properly thought of as functional
systems? Or that scaffolding maps better onto the notion of functional
systems, or.....??

Thanks for the instructive reading.
mike

On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 09:28:13 -0600,
willthereallsvpleasespeakup who-is-at nateweb.info