Re: Functional systems forward

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jan 18 2005 - 18:47:07 PST

Hi,
There is a piece that is (or was a little bit ago anyhow) available through the LCHC web that a bunch of us did describing reading re-mediations of kids with different kinds of difficulties that shoed up in our after-school schools. It (or parts of it) might serve as a jumping off point for a little back and forth about functional systems.
Katie King, Esteban Diaz, Mike and I wrote it a long time ago, circa late 80's. It is called "A Model Systems Approach to Reading Instruction and the Diagnosis of Reading Disabilities."
There are two interesting things about it: (1) it was published in Russian but never made it beyond a circulated draft in English; (2) it introduces the notion "integrated" as what happens in reading which turns up again in PRD and no one ever figured out that it had this article as provenance.
It has some nice triangles, too.

Try getting it at http://lchc.ucsd.edu/Pubs/NEWTECHN.pdf
Peg