Re: infant studies, semiotics

From: Mike Cole (lchcmike@gmail.com)
Date: Mon Jan 17 2005 - 19:31:45 PST

Nice to hear from you Sophie!
   I wish I had had that Trevarthan refence sooner. Tomorrow
(yesterday for you?) I
teach using an article by Ellen Dissanayake called "Antecedents of the
temporal arts in Early mother-infant interactions from a book called
*The origins of music" edited by
Nils Wallin et al. Disananyake is finable on google and well worth
discovering re the
topics referecenced in this discussion.
   My lecture combines this material with Milan Kundera on theme and
variation and a lovely demonstration of intersensory coordination I
worked out with my colleague Gerry
Balzano (who actually understands music!). We made a dual track
recording of the Goldberg Variations which allows me to vary the
volume of theme and variation
independently, as a consequence of which students begin to hear the
theme underlying the variation form as I fade it in and out. Then I
put up only the spatial notation of the notes of the theme on a
reversable whiteboard. With only that visual-spatial information about
the theme, I can reduce its volume, yet the students (and I-- a
musical autodidact)
can continue to hear the theme through Glen Gould's flashing
variations -- the visual mediation of auditory structure.

A wonderful topic. And without a doubt related to the topic of
semieosis, although I could not specify how, exactly. After all, what
is the meaning of the music? (And why does
Gould keep singing it wordlessly?)

Back on earth, I am still puzzling my way through tools, signs,
symbols, meaning, intentionality, and those other oddities we have
been pawing at. Thanks to Pentti Hakarrainen, the new head editor of
Journal of Russian and East European Psychology we now have a
translation of VP Zinchenko writing about Gustav Shpet who had a LOT
to say about these issues that influenced Vygostsky, if VPZ and Jim
Wertsch are to be believed. And Shpet takes us back to von Humbolt.
Hmmm. Who is a precursor of
Sapir who is a precussor of Whorf. Hmmm...

And its all tightly connected with music. Amazing. At least as amazing
as our ability, sometimes, to create intersubjectivity in this medium.
tra la
mike