Re: signs/symbols etc

From: Peg Griffin (Peg.Griffin@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sun Jan 09 2005 - 11:11:13 PST

The best way I know of to think about 'speaker meaning' actually has been
recently reported in the NY Times Magazine year end obituary about Sidney
Morgenbesser:
      "The most widely circulated tale -- in many renditions it is even
presented as a joke, not the true story that it is -- was his encounter with
the Oxford philosopher J. L. Austin. During a talk on the philosophy of
language at Columbia in the 50's, Austin noted that while a double negative
amounts to a positive, never does a double positive amount to a negative.
From the audience, a familiar nasal voice muttered a dismissive, ''Yeah,
yeah.''
[Ryerson, J. 12/26/04 "Sidney Morgenbesser [ b. 1921 ]; Sidewalk Socrates"
NYT ]

While the utterance meaning of "Yes" and "Yeah Yeah" might have been (at
least near) synonyms; the speaker, Morgenbesser, exploits connotations (of
the informal/slang), discourse role conventions, and expressive intonation
(at least) to mean the antonym of 'yes'. Austin was working on sentence
meaning (and that itself is more than combinatrics of the lexicon) in
language as a cultural tool that can yield utterances when speakers use it.

And I wonder, too, about Vygotsky's sense/meaning and the three distinctions
I noted. I think that the sort of dead or at least dormant prepared part is
'meaning' in the one paradigm and 'sentence meaning' in the other. Then I'm
thinking 'sense' for Vygotsky has two aspects for others, both are lively
constructed constrained and effected by the dead 'meaning/sentence meaning'
tool but 'utterance meaning' makes it communal/social and the 'speaker
meaning' makes it populated idiosyncratic open-ended unpredictable creative
and misunderstood (but gets us to those same things as a part of history --
Bakhtin/Volosinov's "previously occupied -- in spite of the golden arrow of
time).

Going back to Mike's other question (1. Are all tools only symbols and never
signs?), I think that's a better question for Jay and others. Like Jay, I
think of symbols as a kind of tool and I think some tools are not symbols.
Rakes and typewriters are just tools, but once computers came along, hmmm
not clear where tool leaves off and symbol comes in since its a new kind of
exploitation/expression of mathematical systems.

In the water example, I think two different ideas about symbols are
intertwined there, but again something probably better for others to answer
than me.

(By the way another wonderful Morgenbesser conversation is reported in the
same article: ''Let me see if I understand your thesis,'' he once said to
the psychologist B. F. Skinner. ''You think we shouldn't anthropomorphize
people?'')

Peg