RE: Vygotsky/tool/sign/symbol

Hi, Don

Actually, I didn't mean to say that I think Peirce is not relevant; I just
wanted to avoid suggesting a kind of relevance that I'm not qualified to
propose as regards LSV. I guess for "understanding Vygotsky" in the sense
exploring what his insights can be seen to mean -- rather than the more
exegetical sense of how he meant them consciously in light of others whom he
read, etc., Peirce would be extremely relevant.

Let me suggest something I see as strongly relevant for Activity Theory:

The MCA abstract notes that "For Peirce, a sign is as such because it stands
for something to somebody."
Although Peirce often referred to a human "somebody" as interpreting the
sign, he famously characterized this as a "sop to Cerberus," since humans
are not necessary (and hence don't belong in the definition).

It would be more strictly proper to say that
"A sign is as such because it
stands for something
to SOME INTELLIGENT SYSTEM."
By "intelligent system" he meant
any system with the capacity
to correct or improve its interpretations
on the basis of experience.

A human person is just one special case of an "intelligent system."

Although readers sometimes find it difficult to conceive what else, besides
human persons, would qualify as an "intelligent system" within this
definition of what makes something a sign, it seems to me that Activity
Theory does exactly that -- by articulating what activity systems are and
what they do, including through the response to something not just as
itself, but as a sign of something else, other than itself (the RESPONSE
being the INTERPRETANT, one of the three essential terms in the triadic
sign-relation).