Fwd: chat and virtual communities

THANKS Emilia, for more intriguing refs on this topic. One nice thing
about non-real
time discourse is that long gaps are not a big problem.
mike

-

 Hi Mike,

 (The message below was initially sent on Nov 2nd, but didn't reach
the list as I had sent it from the wrong email address. I hope it's
still of some use.)

 I'm not sure if you're also interested in chat (communities) from a
semiotic perspective, but if you are, then this is a recent
publication which includes some articles on the issue: R. Scollon and
P. LeVine (Eds.) 2004 Discourse and Technology: multimodal discourse
analysis. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press.

 Of particular interest in that volume may be:

         Davis, B. and P. Mason. 2004. Trying on Voices: Using
Questions to Establish Authority, Identity, and Recipient Design in
Electronic Discourse. In      R. Scollon and P. LeVine (Eds.),
Discourse and Technology: multimodal discourse analysis. 47-58.
Washington, DC: Georgetown University  Press.         Jones, R.H.
2004. The Problem of Context in Computer-Mediated Communication. In R.
Scollon and P. LeVine (Eds.), Discourse and  Technology: multimodal
discourse analysis. 20-33. Washington, DC: Georgetown University Press

 There is also an older book in which I remember reading at least one
article on relay chat (by Juliet Mar), but it's not related to using
chat in an educational context: D. Gibbs and K.L. Krause (Eds.) 2000.
Cyberlines: Languages and Cultures of the Internet. Sydney: James
Nicholas Publishers.

 I hope I (being a natural-born lurker and new to XMCA and the issues
discussed on it) haven't completely misunderstood your request.

 Best wishes,
 Emilia