RE: CHAT and virtual communities...

Okay, I should probably speak up here. I think Kirk Sluder's and Susan
Herring's chapters are interesting for examining chat. These chapters
are clear in explicating particular methods that are not richly steeped
in theoretical commitments, although I would argue that methods are
rarely if ever a theoretical. In contrast, in my chapter and some
others, instead of using a particular method for analysis, I adopt two
theoretical frameworks as different lenses for characterizing
participation (the notion of dualities, as well as Activity Theory). I
find this not without challenges, for translating a theoretical
framework into a methodological process is a goofy process. I wonder how
Yrjo felt as he watched people translate Activity Theory (conceptualized
as the triangle) into a methodological tool. I for one have benefited
from such a translation but is it reasonable? Not sure. Anyway, I think
that in answering Mike's initial question, analyzing chat in communities
involves both using "research methodologies" as well as "theoretical
frameworks." Not sure if this was useful but thought I would enter the
conversation.

Sasha
Sasha A. Barab, Associate Professor
Learning Sciences, Instructional Systems Technology & Cognitive Science
Indiana University
School of Education                    ph: (812) 856-8462
Room 4066, 201 N. Rose Ave.     fax: (812) 856-8333
Bloomington, IN  47405               mail:          sbarab@indiana.edu
                                                 homepage:
http://inkido.indiana.edu/barab/

It takes courage to face the world with compassionate attention, to
be candid about the injustices we understand, and to probe those we
do not. We try, stumble, and try again. Consciousness is a daily walk.
(Claudia Horwitz, 2002)