Re: education, technology & chat (The Mathematics of it)

Peter,
I think I am in love with the portlandschools in your e-mil address.  I want
to know more about it.

I think you are absolutely right.
But, I am also a self professed promiscuous activist -- I do the best I can
with what I have when I have to do it.  I work really hard to get enough
information and to analyze enough to ward off epigenetic by-ways and to
figure how I might lay the ground for skip counting ahead.  But I just
cannot leave out the kids and teachers around me and the systems of
supervision they are objective subjects in.

So, no, I haven't gotten it central, but I get measurement and modeling of
operations in by whatever means necessary.  Number words, count lists of
them, the Gelman and Gallistel and following stuff, and the info about
number word structuring in other languages -- it can be a useful
complication for numbers curricula, don't you think?

Peg